I bet you thought that today I’d write about quilts. Or about the rock group Queen. Or maybe about how much I loved that movie about drag queens, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
How about a few quizzical things I believed when I was a kid, instead?
- I believed that if I forgot to include someone in the “God bless so-&-so part of my bedtime prayer, something terrible would happen to them. Which made for a bit of stress, as you can imagine!
- When I was about 6, I baptized a bath toy and then lived in fear for days (It was a Fuzzy Wuzzy bear bath sponge. Remember the rhyme? “fuzzy wuzzy was a bear, fuzzy wuzzy had no hair, fuzzy wuzzy wasn’t fuzzy, was he.”)
- I believed that if I said my bedtime prayer as fast as I could, I wouldn’t die in my sleep. “nowilaymedowntosleepipraythel
ordmysoultokeepifishoulddiebef oreiwakeipraytheLordmysoultota ke.” Maybe I thought that if I said it fast enough, I could fly under God’s radar.
(Obviously my family only went to church often enough to terrify the bejeezes out if me!)
- I believed that if I ate a handful of dirt and then an apple seed, a tree would grow in my stomach. I was very careful never to eat dirt.
- I believed in the spontaneous combustion of houses (and other things.)
- I believed that if you swallowed your gum, it would stay in your stomach for seven years before being digested.
- When I was in elementary school, my friend Diane’s grandmother said to me, “you’re really quite the chubby little girl, aren’t you?” I believed her for the rest of my life. What a wicked old woman!
and okay…you twisted my arm. Here’s a Because you Matter quilt I finished about a month ago:
…and yes, Queen is my favourite rock group.
What quirky things did you believe when you were a kid?
I’m participating in the Blogging From A-Z challenge. One blog post for each letter of the alphabet, each day of April (except Sunday).
5 Replies to “Q”
I love that quilt design. One of these days I will get started on a quilt like that. Too many other projects in the works right now.
Sean at His and Her Hobbies
Nasty old biddy!! I believed in gum staying in your belly forever if you swallowed it (and still might to this day:)). I grew up cutting both top corners off the milk bags because it would let the milk breathe. Not sure why milk needed to breathe…
Oh, how sad to have been subjected to that mean old lady! 🙁
I believed that someday I would fly. And that I would talk to animals like Snow White.
Who wants to live forever? My favorite. =) Love the quilt. Let’s see. I believed if I laid very still and didn’t turn over, the things under the bed would not know I was there, so they wouldn’t stick knives up through the mattress into me. I thought the gum went down and stuck to my appendix and I would have to have it out. I thought I was ugly because my aunt kept saying, “You better be smart, because you surely aren’t pretty.” I thought when a red moon came, everyone on earth would die. I ate lots of dirt, in the form of mud pies and cakes. It was definitely a quirky generation. 😉
now you’ve done it! fuzzy wuzzy was a…